What are the switches for?

Sep 23, 2020 - 2:27 AM

• What are the switches on top of the unit for? No instructions came with the unit. I bought the Z5, I am new at growing so more info would be helpful

• Hello there,

Welcome to the hobby of growing indoors and I'm sorry about the missing instructions. There are two buttons at the top of our Z5 LED grow light lamp model. One has a blue dominant light and one has a red dominant light.

Many plant species grow with stronger and healthier stems and branches when exposed to the blue dominant light spectrum. This is typically desired in the seedling/early-vegetative stage and is sometimes preferred when growing cannabis. The red light is used for flowering or during the fruit-bearing stage. Although ideally, both lights should be used instead of just the red light alone.

You can either use the blue button or both buttons. It all depends on what you are growing and how you want it to grow. The blue button uses 51w of power while the red button uses 62w. Both consumes a total of 112w. Less power utilized results in less intense light but this is counteracted by lowering the lamp nearer to the plant.

Light intensity is regulated by the distance between lamps and plants. Lowering the lamp will increase intensity but decreases the size of the area that is illuminated. This is typically a good match in the early phase when plants are small and don't cover a large area or doesn't have a lot of foliage.

We'll be happy to help you tune in to your new hobby if you share some information about your setup, your plant(s), and your desired goals.

Let me know if anything was confusing or if you have any other questions.

Quick reply