• Forums
  • QA
  • I need help in setting my lamp's distance..

I need help in setting my lamp's distance..

Sep 24, 2020 - 2:43 AM

• Hello,

I have a question. Can you help me find out how high I need to keep my lamp Z5 when I have young cocoa plant (2 months)

• Hello ,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As I have no experience with this plant, I searched online. I didn't find a lot of data or articles written on the subject of cultivating cocoa plants, unfortunately.
    But generally, I would start with a light intensity of around 300 PPFD (umol/m2/s) and a photoperiod of between 14 and 18 hours. Slowly work your way up from 300 to 600 PPFD over a month or two.

We have a detailed intensity map of our Z5 LED grow light found on our website. Here is the link: https://www.ledtonic.com/pages/z5-product-info. It shows that 343 PPFD is achieved when hanging the lamp about 24/60cm above your plant. 630 PPFD is achieved when the distance is 18/45cm. Your tree should be able to handle 400-500 PPFD at its current state.

Although, I always recommend to start out by hanging a little higher from the plant for low intensity light and get it accustomed to the spectrum and irradiance levels by gradually lowering the grow light closer to the plant each day. This means slightly increasing light intensity just to see how the plants react. Suddenly increasing light intensity (lowering the light closer to the plant) might damage the plant.

We have written a couple of articles that will be helpful to you.
    One of them is about DLI (Daily Light Integral which explains the relationship between light intensity and photoperiod. )
    https://www.ledtonic.com/blogs/guides/dli-daily-light-integral-chart-understand-your-plants-ppfd-photoperiod-requirements.

To simplify and narrow all of this down, I'd aim for 15-20 DLI now when it is young and getting used to the light. Give it around 30 DLI in a couple of months, and possibly upwards 40 DLI in adult/fruiting stage. Combine 14-18 hour photoperiod with appropriate light intensity to achieve the desired DLI. Take it slow and listen to your plant. It will most likely show if it likes the conditions.

Let me know if anything was confusing or if you have any other questions. I hope your plant will be thriving :-)

Best regards

Quick reply