• Forums
  • QA
  • I'm looking for recommendations for my 4x8 hydroponics area.

I'm looking for recommendations for my 4x8 hydroponics area.

Nov 28, 2020 - 1:50 AM

• Hello,

I am in search of LED lights for hydroponic lettuce production. I am planning on a 4x8' production area in a raft system.

Cornell recommends a minimum of 15 mols/m2/day--17 is ideal.

Also plan on growing other greens (kale, spinach, mustard, etc). I see you cater mostly to the cannabis market, but I have no desire or plans for this.

What is your recommendation based on your current offering? I'm assuming multiple Z5 lights based on the Z5 PAR data provided--how would you space the lights to achieve a fairly uniform light pattern?

• Thank you for reaching out.
    An even coverage of 260-290 PPFD is achieved when Z5 is hanging at 30/75cm height and with 10/25cm between lamps.
    275 PPFD * 16h = 15.8 DLI
    We have measured our Z5 at 30distance over a 4x4'/120x120cm large area with no reflective walls, and the calculations were based on this.
    You can find the map in the link below. One square is 6x6
    large and the lamp is roughly 12x12" large, or 2x2 squares.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/8485/7920/files/4x4ft_1-1xZ5_group_NW.png?v=1604617294

Our lamp is not designed for cannabis specifically, but it works very well for all high-light plants. Especially plants that also grow tall. Focusing lenses play a role in this, which is why 30/75cm is the recommended height for salad. As you may know, cannabis can take upwards 1000 PPFD and can therefore grow as close as 10 from the lamp.
    Although, It will work great for salad and leafy greens as well, just at a greater distance.

I hope the above was helpful. Please let me know if anything was unclear or if you have any other questions.

Quick reply